Pro Reg DW advanced alternator regulator IP 67, waterproof, ignition protected. Includes two temperature sensors.
Please note advanced regulators are not suitable for some modern vehicles / boats with integrated engine management systems as they increase the alternator’s voltage and this can be interpreted by the management system as a fault on the alternator. Please use an Alternator to Battery Charger or a Battery to Battery charger for these applications.
Unit actual rating (the actual device rating) for the Pro Reg DW:
By far the most powerful regulator around due to its fan cooling. Positive field control 6A max field current. Negative field control 18A max field.
Real world rating (rule of thumb):
12/24V alternator with standard regulator fitted, up to approx 400A alternator. More if a negative field control. 12/24V alternator with no standard regulator. Stand alone, about 200A more if a negative field control.
- Maintains maximum performance of an alternator’s power curve within a preset envelope as defined by battery manufacturers.
- Batteries charging 4-20 times faster. ( depending on original system ).
- Enables 25-35% extra useful power to be stored in batteries. A conventional alternator will only charge the battery to a max of about 75% and, at about 35% remaining capacity, the low voltage level renders it useless. This means that, of 100A of battery capacity, only about 35A are available to be used. An advanced regulator will fully charge the battery giving an extra 25% capacity. This increases the useable available power by about 70 – 80%.
- Battery plates kept free from sulphate damage results in longer life.
- Due to the built in safety features, in the event of incorrect installation the unit will switch itself off.
- Reduces needless running hours on the main engine.
- Compensates for voltage drops resulting from long cable runs, ammeters, diodes and other general wiring associated problems.
- Automatically converts a machine-sensed alternator to a permanent battery sensed alternator.